I have been using Amazing Grass Superfood Powders for years, so it comes as no surprise that I was interested in their Superfood Bars when I found them online. They are simple, clean and minimally processed.
What’s Good About These Bars?
I like their products mainly because they are extremely nutrient dense – and this means I don’t have to buy and prepare a lot of special foods to eat a well-rounded nutritional diet. The high green content also has an alkalizing effect on the body.
These bars provide a variety of superfood greens (which are organic, by the way). Plus, they also include a good amount of fiber and probiotics like L Acidophilus. Are you having a hard time getting your kids to eat their broccoli and spinach? Just sneak in these great snacks!
Disadvantages of Amazing Grass Superfood Bars:
Although these bars contain lots of nutrients, they don’t contain a lot of protein (about 5 grams per serving). Most of the protein in these bars comes from nuts and seeds. These also increase the carb count.
In addition, some flavors contain cane sugar, rolled oats, tapioca syrup and/or brown rice syrup. Yes, these ingredients are organic if that matters to you. However, for the strict paleo eater, these ingredients generally don’t fly (organic or not).
So if you’re trying to avoid certain ingredients, which bars contain what?
- Berry Energy: no added sugar, sweetened with organic dates
- Chocolate Chip Coconut: organic rolled oats, organic tapioca syrup, organic brown rice syrup, organic rice crisps, organic cane sugar
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: contains organic agave nectar, organic cane juice and of course, organic peanuts
- Chocolate: organic agave nectar, cane sugar,
- Organic Green Bars, Original: organic agave nectar
- Sweet & Savory Almond: organic peanuts, organic brown rice syrup, organic cane sugar, organic tapioca syrup, organic rice crisps
What Do I Think?
Sometimes I think I could drive myself crazy trying to eat only good wholesome foods, Plus, avoid all pesticides in produce, hormones in meat, unnatural additives, sugar, grains, etc.. I mainly try to look for where I can get the most nutrition for my buck. While keeping meals and snacks simple, of course. That’s probably why I continue to buy Amazing Grass products.
Besides, where else am I going to find bars with organic cacao nibs, acai, maca, chlorella, spirulina, wheat grass, alfalfa, rose hips and green tea?
At about 200-250 calories a serving, the Amazing Grass Green Superfood Bars are best as:
- an easy snack that keeps your digestion in check if you are on the road
- a light breakfast if you don’t have time to blend a smoothie and want some energy or
- as a guilt-free after dinner snack that satiates your sweet tooth